Treat Your Palates With Mediterranean Chicken With PotatoesBack
This tasty Mediterranean chicken dish features small red potatoes and other classic regional ingredients, like red onion, olives, tomatoes, basil, artichokes, and Parmesan cheese. The small red potatoes are roasted in the oven to give them a deep caramelized flavor before they’re tossed with the other ingredients. A Greek salad makes a great side dish for this wonderful blend of flavors and textures. A crusty bread loaf and a refreshing glass of cold lemonade are all you need to round out this meal.
Mediterranean Chicken with Potatoes
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 12 small red potatoes, halved (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- Cooking spray
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup vertically sliced red onion
- 3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped pepperoncini peppers
- 1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 2 cups chopped plum tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Thyme sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine 2 teaspoons garlic, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, thyme, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and potatoes on a jelly roll pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Heat a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add half of chicken to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until browned. Remove chicken from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken; remove from pan.
- Add onion to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring broth to a boil; cook until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 2 minutes). Add potatoes, chicken, broth, pepperoncini, and olives; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 2 teaspoons garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, tomato, basil, and artichokes; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle with cheese. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.
Image Courtesy: shutterstock.com