This Ideal Veggie Treat Is So Yummy, Yet Healthy
One of the most celebrated French chefs, Laurent Gras was born into a family of diehard foodies. Gras is recognized as one of the most talented chefs cooking today, known for a personal and innovative cuisine. He has been “Best New Chef” from Food & Wine Magazine to San Francisco Magazine.
One of Laurent’s most-loved dishes is the Farfalle with Tomatoes and Green Vegetables; a rich, healthy and quick-to-make recipe you’d love to try.
- 1 pound ripe green tomatoes, such as Green Zebra
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- Kosher salt
- 1-pound farfalle
- 12 asparagus spears, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves (1 1/2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 2 ounces’ ricotta salata cheese, coarsely grated (2/3 cup)
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Fill a bowl with ice water. Using a paring knife, core the tomatoes and make a shallow X in the bottom of each one. Blanch the tomatoes in the boiling water until their skins just begin to split, about 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes to the ice water to cool, then drain and peel. Halve the tomatoes and discard the seeds. Cut the tomato flesh into 1/2-inch dices.
- Bring a pot or large saucepan of salted water to a boil. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the sliced zucchini and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until almost tender, about 3 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes and cook until they begin to break down, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
- Cook the farfalle in the boiling water until al dente, adding the asparagus to the pot 1 minute before the pasta is done. Drain the pasta and asparagus well, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water.
- Return the pasta and asparagus to the pot. Add the zucchini-tomato mixture, along with the spinach, tarragon and the reserved pasta water and season with salt. Spoon the farfalle into bowls, sprinkle with the ricotta salata and serve. Enjoy this yummy dish with your friends and family.