Orange Cinnamon Rolls To Satiate Your Sweet ToothBack
Sticky cinnamon buns are the stuff of kids’ dreams. They are rich in flavor and provide the right mix of sweet and spicy to satiate your sweet tooth and keep you wanting more. Fluffy, doughy and soft rolls with buttery cinnamon swirls are best had straight out of the oven. Now, give ordinary cinnamon rolls a different edge with a hint of orange flavor.
Orange Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 -3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dissolve the yeast in warm water in a mixer bowl. Add orange peel, orange juice, sugar, salt, egg, butter and 1 1/2 c of the flour.
- Beat for 30 seconds and increase speed to medium, beat for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally.
- Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a dough easy to handle. Turn the dough out onto floured surface and knead 5 minutes and dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the mix and leave it in warm place. You know the dough is ready if an indentation remains when dough is touched.
- Punch the dough down and, on a lightly floured surface, roll into a rectangle 15x9". Spread w/ 1 T butter and sprinkle with combined 2 T sugar and 1 t cinnamon.
- Roll up, beginning at one of the long sides; pinch edge of dough into roll to seal well; stretch to make the roll even.
- Cut the roll into 15 slices about 1" wide. Place slices slightly apart in a greased oblong baking pan, 13x9x2", or in greased muffin cups.
- Cover and let rise until double, about 30 minutes. Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven until rolls are golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- If desired, mix together confectioner's sugar, orange juice, orange peel, and vanilla; frost while warm.
Image Courtesy: shutterstock.com