Get Shooting With The New Panasonic Lumix G9
The Panasonic Lumix G9 is out to fulfil the demands of serious photographers. It positions itself as Panasonic’s flagship stills camera in the G-series and, on paper, the specifications look remarkably impressive. Read on to see if it delivers on the promises.
- The Lumix G9 has a 20.3-megapixel Live MOS sensor. The ISO range spans from ISO 200 to 25,600, with an extended lower setting of ISO 100. Shutter speeds range from 60 seconds to 1/8000sec using the mechanical focal-plane shutter, or 60 seconds to 1/32,000sec using the electronic shutter. The advantage of using the electronic shutter is that the camera operates silently.
- One of the key features is the G9’s new 5-axis Dual I.S II image stabilizer, which offers 6.5 stops of compensation to counteract camera shake when shooting stills or movies. The G9’s new IS system is also dual-purpose in the way it allows the camera to offer a new 80-megapixel high-resolution mode, whereby the sensor is shifted precisely between eight shots to create a single image with much finer detail.
- The G9 presents an excellent video specification. It can record 4K video (3840 x 2160) at up to 60fps, with a bit-rate of 150Mbps. Slow motion footage can be shot at up to 180fps at Full HD quality. This allows users to extract 8-megapixel stills from 4K footage at 60fps, or 18-megapixel stills from 6K video at 30fps.
- Panasonic’s new power-saving LVF shooting mode promises up to 890 shots per charge from the DMW-BLF19E battery. With the economy mode switched off, average battery life is expected to be around 380 shots.
- Above the G9’s USB 3.0 Micro-B and HDMI Type-A interfaces, you’ll find a 3.5mm microphone port and 3.5mm headphone socket behind the rubberized flaps. With its deep ergonomic handgrip, the G9 offers ample space for those with large fingers to wrap their hand around it. The G9 is built around a strong magnesium alloy chassis. The build quality is superior.
Overall, Panasonic has done a great job with the Lumix G9 and has launched it at a competitive price that represents good value for money.