Posted on 07 Jul 2017 Back
Get Grooving With The JBL Playlist
JBL Playlist is a wireless speaker with built-in Chromecast that streams audio directly from compatible apps. Playlist’s compact design and reasonable price make it an appealing choice for music loving Google Home fans.
- Styled in white, black, or blue, this compact speaker is the ideal size for shelves and tabletops where surface space is limited. A smart fabric grille covers the front and the grainy matte finish on the back is pleasant to the touch. Construction is rugged and robust. Sturdiness is boosted by a vibration-quelling rubber pad on the bottom. The top buttons are housed in a protective rubber panel. These include power, volume, play/pause, Bluetooth pairing, and standby.
- On the back is a recess housing a 3.5 mm mini jack, a reset button, and the power inlet. The Playlist offers dual-band Wi-Fi (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz with 802.11ac support) and Bluetooth 4.2. Wi-Fi streaming offers great sound quality (hi-res streaming up to 96 kHz/24-bit).
- Built-in Google Chromecast is the Playlist’s main attraction, providing an easy way of streaming audio directly from compatible apps on your smartphone or tablet. There are close to 300 compatible apps – for example, Spotify, BBC iPlayer Radio, and Google Play Music. The fact that you can only stream from Chromecast-compatible apps won’t please everyone though.
- Playlist uses two 2.25-inch woofers, augmented by a rear-mounted passive radiator, with a power output of 2 x 15 Watt. Playlist’s compact size would have made it ideal for portable use, but there’s no battery on board, which means it has to be tethered to a plug socket.
- To connect Playlist to your router, simply install Google Home on a smartphone connected to the same Wi-Fi network and then follow the instructions. The process is very simple. Google Home transfers the Wi-Fi password from the phone to the speaker. To start streaming, simply tap the Cast icon within your chosen app and select Playlist as the speaker.
- The JBL Playlist is a talented performer, delivering an easy, well-balanced sound that you can enjoy without the need to constantly fiddle with the controls. There’s plenty of detail, vocals are clear, and well-controlled bass lends warmth without compromising clarity. Playlist also handles high frequencies well. And it maintains its sense of composure and clarity even as you push the volume higher. The Playlist can be surprisingly loud for such a compact speaker.