Enjoy Comfort Food The Korean WayBack
Bibimbap is probably one of the most well-known and beloved Korean dishes to many people. Even if people don’t know anything about Korea, it’s not too difficult to find people who had Bibimbap sometime in their lives.
Bibimbap simply translates to “mixed rice with meat and assorted vegetables“. You can make endless variations to this dish depending on your preference and dietary requirements. Traditional and authentic versions of Bibimbap are served with raw beef and raw egg yolk along with other vegetables but this recipe uses cooked ingredients.
Meat and meat sauce
- 100g (3.5 ounces) beef mince
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sugar – I used brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp minced garlic
Vegetables and other
- 250g (0.6 pounds) mildly seasoned spinach
- 350g (0.8 pounds) mildly seasoned bean sprouts – (You don’t have to use them up if you think it’s too much)
- 100g (3.5 ounces) shiitake mushroom
- 120g (4.2 ounces) carrots (1 small)
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt (1/4 tsp each will be used when cooking shiitake mushroom and carrots)
- 3 to 4 serving portions of steamed rice
- 3 or 4 eggs (depending on the serving portion)
- Rice bran oil to cook the meat, mushroom, carrots and eggs
- Korean seasoned seaweed, shredded (long thin cut)
- 2 Tbsp gochujang
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp sugar – I used raw sugar
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 Tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
*Other vegetable options – Daikon radish salad, Korean cucumber side dish, gosari and bellflower root
Prepare and cook ingredients as below.
For meat, mix the beef mince with the meat sauce listed above. Marinate the meat for about 30 minutes while you are working on other ingredients to enhance the flavor. Add some cooking oil into a wok and cook the meat on medium high to high heat. It takes about 3 to 5 minutes to thoroughly cook it.
Mix the bibimbap sauce ingredients in a bowl.
Sauté the spinach and bean sprouts.
Rinse, peel and julienne the carrots. Add some cooking oil and 1/4 tsp of fine sea salt in a wok and cook the carrots on medium high to high heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
Clean/rinse the shiitake mushrooms and thinly slice them. Add some cooking oil and 1/4 tsp of fine sea salt in a wok and cook the mushrooms on medium high to high heat until they are all cooked. (It takes 2 to 3 minutes.)
Make fried eggs. (While sunny side up is common, you can make them per your preference.)
Put the rice into a bowl and add the meat, assorted vegetables, seasoned seaweed, bibimbap sauce and the egg on top of the rice. Serve it.
Mix the ingredients well in the bowl and enjoy!
Image courtesy: shutterstock.com