Delicious Banoffee Pie To Satiate Your Sweet ToothBack
If you’ve got a sweet tooth then you’ll know that banoffee pie is simply irresistible. With this simple recipe, you can make it at home anytime you want. To save time, use store bought dulce de leche instead of making your own caramel.
For the caramel
- 100g/3½oz unsalted butter
- 100g/3½oz caster sugar
- 400g/14fl oz can condensed milk
For the banoffee pie
- 150g/5 oz digestive biscuits, crushed
- 230g/8oz pecans, halved
- 75g/3oz butter, melted
- 3 large bananas, chopped
- 250ml/10½oz double cream, whipped until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
For the caramel sauce
- 125g/4oz unsalted butter
- 125g/4oz soft light brown sugar
- 125ml/4fl oz coconut milk
- For the caramel, place the butter and sugar into a non-stick pan over a low heat, stirring until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves.
- Add the condensed milk and slowly bring to the boil, stirring continuously, to make the caramel. As soon as the mixture thickens and begins to smell of caramel, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, for the banoffee pie, place the crushed biscuits and 115g/4oz of the pecans into a bowl. Add the butter and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to a 25cm/10in cake tin. Press in to pack the mixture evenly into the base.
- Add the chopped bananas to the caramel mixture and mix well, then spread the mixture over the biscuit base. Transfer to the refrigerator to cool for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the fridge and spread the whipped cream evenly over the top of the banoffee layer.
- Place the remaining pecans over the top in a circular arrangement and dust with cocoa powder.
- For the caramel sauce, place the butter, sugar and coconut milk into a heavy-based pan over a medium heat. Bring to the boil and cook for 3-4 minutes, until it forms a thick, light golden-brown sauce.
- To serve, cut out slices of the banoffee pie, place onto plates and pour over the caramel sauce.
Image Courtesy: shutterstock.com